There are two ways to update theme, and in this post we will tell about each of them. Before updating you need to check something. Please open the theme settings page and click on the information tab. If you see message in the File Verification section that verification successful, no file modifications detected, this means that you did everything correctly and can update the theme.
If the file verification is not successful and you see message that some files have been modified, this can happen only for two reasons:
- You changed one of default styles using a customizer. Please read how to use a theme customizer correctly?
- You customized your site and changed some theme files. Please read why you should use a child theme?
Update Theme with the Envato Market plugin
Envato Market is plugin can install WordPress themes and plugins purchased from ThemeForest & CodeCanyon by connecting with the Envato Market API using a secure OAuth personal token. Once your themes & plugins are installed WordPress will periodically check for updates, so keeping your items up to date is as simple as a few clicks.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Download the Envato Market plugin. Go to the plugin page.
- Install the plugin using the downloaded archive.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Click the ‘Envato Market’ menu in WordPress and connect to the API.
- Next you need to generate a personal token, and then insert it in the token field.
- Now you can open the Themes page and click update the theme.
Update Theme via FTP
If you don’t want to install additional plugins, you can update the theme using FTP client. Download the new version of the theme from your ThemeForest Downloads page and replace all theme files in the folder /wp-content/themes/theme folder